BENEFITS OF AERIAL YOGA
A looped piece of fabric can support the body in ways that allow you to experience poses that may be straining otherwise. Poses, such as handstand which can be quite challenging for some, are suddenly not just possible, but are easier to try with the fabric wrapped around the body so that the fabric acts as the perfect self-spotter.
By practicing aerial yoga, you are likely to be able to:
• Develop upper body strength without even trying to!
• Stretch deeper without experiencing strain because the fabric supports part of your body weight.
• Work more of the body at once because weight is distributed throughout multiple working points.
• Increase your spatial intelligence by exposing yourself to new perspectives within 3-D space.
• Develop a strong core by expanding the possibilities of positions in 3-D space.
• Improve balance through use of the fabric that can move anywhere in space.
• Experience the empowerment of being able to lift your own body weight in new poses.
• Reinforce proper body alignment, which will carry over into your everyday life, and throughout your other fitness practices.
PHYSICAL RESTRICTIONS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
While being upside-down can bring great health for some, there are others who have conditions which make it dangerous for them to invert. Those who should NOT invert include anyone with any of the following conditions:
• Uncompensated congestive heart failure
• Carotid artery stenosis
• Hiatal hernia or spinal instability
• Persons receiving anticoagulants or aspirin therapy
• Those with a family history of cerebrovascular accidents
• High or low blood pressure
• History of stroke or heart conditions of any kind
• Excess weight (Fabric can cut into skin)
• Eye problems
• Inner ear problems
• Recent Stroke
• Artificial or Re-Surfaced Hips
• Botox (within 24 hours of class)
Please talk to the teacher before attending class if you have any medical issues that prevent you from inverting or putting pressure on your skin. Check with your doctor before attending class if you have a spinal injury or any medical condition that might be effected by an Aerial Yoga class.
AERIAL YOGA STUDENT ETIQUETTE
• Please arrive 10 minutes before class to set yourself up comfortably in your hammock.
• If you are new to the studio, please allow yourself 20 minutes to fill out paperwork and connect with your teacher to set up for class.
• Avoid wearing lotion of strong perfumes.
• Remove your shoes before entering the studio classroom.
• Please do not chew gum.
• Be considerate of the next person using the hammock and observe good personal hygiene.
• Wear deodorant.
• Avoid practicing on a full stomach.
Aerial Yoga can be exciting. For safety reasons, we ask that you are quiet and listen attentively while the teacher is talking.
Listen to your body and take care of yourself during class. Rest when needed by coming to child’s pose on your mat or resting in the hammock in a neutral position that feels good to you.
• Please wear a sleeved shirt that covers the armpits and pants that cover your knees.
• Wear form fitting clothing. Please do not wear baggy clothing as they can snag and catch on the sling’s fabric causing accidents.
• Ensure that your clothing is “zipper free” and remove all jewelry, watches and hair clips. These items can snag and damage the silk hammocks.
• No Jewelry (neck-less, earring)
We recommend that you wear a soft sticky pair of low ankle socks
Address: 972 Kildaire Farm Rd, Cary NC